Is Tax Identity Theft a Threat for You?

May 3, 2013 in: News

Most taxpayers successfully filed their returns this year. But if you receive an IRS notice that someone has already filed using your information, you could be a victim of identity theft. If so, take the following steps as quickly as possible:

• Notify your local police department and file the necessary paperwork.
• Call the Identity Protection Specialized Unit at 1-800-908-4490.
• Fill out a Form 14039 affidavit.
• Apply for assistance from the Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS).
• File a report with the FTC by calling 1-877-438-4338 or go to FTC Identity Theft
• Check your credit reports with TransUnion, Experian, and Equifax for any unusual activity.

Remember if your identity has been stolen, be proactive and persistent. The problem can be corrected.

Comments are closed.